Problem with pressure distribution

Pressure distribution (traction) applied to model with all tetra respect the total load (sum). Same pressure distribution applied to a model with C3D8 (also C3D20 tried) doesn't reach the theoretical load. I tried to reduce mesh size but not negligible different remains
I reproduce 3 different simple example

Comments

• Non-uniform loads are interpolated at a few points over each element face so there will be some discretization error when it's a nonlinear function like this.

But it's odd that hex20 is worse than tet. Would you mind sharing the files, especially the coarse hex mesh?
  • edited March 11
    Problem is related to apply parabolic pressure distribution to a partial hole inner face. In this case the face forms an angle of 90°. Hole center, for pressure equation, should be 0,0,0. On attached image the theory behind

• edited March 11
    I get the same result (-9.41 kN) for both hex8 and hex20 with flat faces but it's much more accurate (-9.9994614 kN) with hex20 and fitting the midside nodes to the circular shape.

I think the main source of error is that due to the faceted shape, the x and z values in the formulas will be consistently inside the cylinder. I changed the formula to replace 5 with sqrt(x^2+z^2) to represent the actual radius, and that improved the reaction force to -9.97 kN on the original hex8 mesh. The remaining error is probably because the total area is smaller than the ideal cylinder's.

Curiously, this seems to be the same problem with a solution described by @kennethfugate recently https://mecway.com/forum/discussion/comment/7514
  • Ok...but changing elements shape from linear to quadratic, did you changed manually the coordinate of mid side nodes or there is a trick?
  • I used Node coordinates -> Coordinate system = Cylindrical (Y axis) and set the radius.
  • My favorite thing about this forum is some of the small discoveries I make with the gems that get offered up in conversation - like Node coordinates cylindrical, brilliant, and right in front of me!