How to look inside a model (slice)?

The attached model has 2 intersecting slots. I want to refine the mesh at the slot intersections to determine the stresses. When the analysis has finished I want to view the slot stresses. However, it's very awkward to do this by peeking through the slot openings.

I realize that I could construct the model as 6 separate parts -- a bottom base plate that contains the bottom slot intersections but not the slot walls, 4 supporting columns that contain the slot walls, a top plate that that contains the top slot intersections. For viewing I could then hide the undesired parts, as needed. However, this considerably complicates the modeling process. Also, the geometry of this model is fairly simple. However, I don't think that this approach is practical for models with complex geometry.

What I need is some way to slice the model and hide the undesired section.

Thanks,
Don C.

Comments

• Use the Slice tool on Mecway to slice the view.
  • What is the menu path to the slice tool (or is it an icon)? (I had searched but couldn't find it.)
  • Is a slide control on the icon bar
  • Is there any way to numerically specify the location of the cutting plane?

In my attached model I have to set the XY (top) view, then move the slider to an estimated position. Then I rotate the model to see if the cutting plane is in the correct position. If not then I reset to the XY (top) view and try again. I have to repeat this until the cutting plane is just above the point where the slot radii transition into the slot walls. This takes a lot of fidgeting. This would be an especial problem if the desired location was a small interior hole which wouldn't be visible until the cutting plane was exactly intersecting it.

What I'd like to be able to do is "Position the cutting plane X mm in the Z direction, perpendicular to the XY plane". Alternately, have some numerical display to show where the slider control is at so that I wouldn't have to continually rotate the model back and forth to see what's happening with the cutting plane.
  • edited May 2021
    Right click on the slide bar.
    You could also hide some previously defined components. Right Clik components in the solution tree.
  • Is not possible in Mecway, use Paraview fot that.
  • disla -- Acceptable for the time being. I'll see if it's OK for more complex models.

Sergio -- Yes, Paraview is good for viewing the results but takes more fiddling (export model from Mecway, solve with Calculix, convert Calculix results to Paraview, load into Paraview and adjust view). Also, I need to cut the geometry stp (not the meshed) in order to select surfaces for mesh refinement.
  • Dculp, you can do a mesh refinement based on a node directly, no need to touch the geometry. When you postprocess, select a node with high stress, and then in the contextual menu there is an option to create a mesh refinement in that specific position.
  • Sergio -- Yes, that would work for this particular model where the stress is high at a point where the two slots intersect. However, this wouldn't work if I need to refine an entire surface rather than at a point, which is often the case.