Mesh quality

Hi Mecway users,

I am new to Mecway and I wonder whether it has a functionality to estimate or display the mesh quality. On Solidworks for instance, I had (in the past) the aspect ratio. Anything similar ?

BR
jase

Comments

• Good morning JASE:

I want to share a couple of thoughts with you:

I do not know in MW but you can certainly do it when you mesh using gmsh(ONELAB-statistics->Mesh).
    If I am not mistaken, you can query about this info when using SALOME-MECA.
    MW always warnss you about distortioned members(negative jacobian,...)

MANUEL

• A few people have asked for this and I hope to later but it won't be in the next version (14).
  • Maybe it is possible to compute mesh quality using a python script.

• Thanks to Manuel and Victor for their inputs . So I understand that mesh quality is not yet a MW feature (but may become it soon ? ;-) ).

BTY, mmartin's screenshot is a bit unclear to me. Where does it come from ? Plugins in MW ? or elsewhere ?

Thanks for your support.
    Jase
  • Hi Manuel,

After re-reading the post, I came to theguess that the plugins are the ones available in Onelab. I'll have a look to it. Thanks for the hint.

BR
    Jase
  • My apologies for the confusing screenshot I previously sent.
    You are absolutely right. I remembered about the mesh quality plug-in from Onelab (gmsh package).
  • hi jase,

yes i was use to having quality checks in ansys. to get around it, with mecway, you can use netgen directly. you can pull up the quality plot before you create the mesh. it will show you how the mesh is optimized as it goes. so it's really pretty cool. there are other advantages to using netgen directly as well. it makes better quality meshes and it can use multiple cores. i've been having a problem with mecway's implementation of netgen. it seems to have problems with reading the files, especially around the seems. sometimes it will create a mesh and then you go to solve and it won't solve. if you mesh the same model in netgen and import the mesh, it solves fine. so i have just got in the habit of using netgen and import the vol file into mecway. having the mesh quality plot can be useful for solid models. that way you know the mesh is a decent quality. it would be really nice though if it pointed out which elements were the low quality ones. it doesn't do that. so you could still have poor quality elements in a high stress area. for me, it lets me know i have the best quality mesh that my computer can handle. victor has pointed out to me the value of doing mesh density studies. he's stated that is one of the main reasons he doesn't use the mesh quality plots. it's generally better to do a mesh quality study instead. he's probably right about that. however, i don't have enough computer memory to do such studies. i have to work with the best mesh i can get and live with the results.

anthony