Buckling analisys considering self weight.

Hi everyone,

¿Does someone know which is the correct procedure to compute the buckling load considering self-weight?

Using the file from "LBA: Different Results with Internal VS CCX Solver post " and directly adding self-weight to see if it has significant effect on the buckling loads (should be slightly reduced) , it gives a completely different result.

Seems the solver treats the self-weight the same way as an external load but i do not think it is correct as it has a constant value independent of external BC.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• edited April 2021
    I think you might be able to do this with CCX by adding an extra *STEP initial section with gravity to load it separately from the loads for buckling. From the CCX manual:
    All loads previous to a perturbation step are removed at the start of the step; only the load specified within the buckling step is scaled till buckling occurs
    Or use nonlinear analysis like Aftab described in another thread.

I guess another possibility might be to iteratively tune the gravity load so that it reaches its correct value when multiplied by the buckling factor.
  • Wow, didn't know about this option of separating the load from the loads for buckling. I will try. Seems the proper way to do it.

Thanks Victor.