How to set/save view for 3D model (rotate about coordinate axes)?

For a 3D model I want to rotate the model about the coordinate axes. For example, from the default isometric view, rotate the model 37 degrees about the Z axis, 42 degrees about the Y axis, 15 degrees about the X axis. These could be implemented simultaneously (with a dialog box) or sequentially (by mouse or keyboard). If 1 degree increments aren't possible then 5 degree increments might be acceptable. Neither F4-F5 nor Alt+Arrow do what I want.

After I achieve the above orientation and after zoom/pan as needed, I want to save the view. Then when I modify the model I can return exactly to the same view (e.g., to look at displacements or stresses). This is important when preparing reports to show progress in optimizing the design.

If the above aren't possible in Mecway then is there a suitable post processor?

Thanks,
Don C.

Comments

• As far as I know there is no way to save the view in mecway, maybe you can do it in Paraview.
  • Actually my original post was incorrect. I don't need the model to rotate about the coordinate axes; I need the view to rotate about the axes. So, following along my original post -- from the default isometric view, rotate the view 37 degrees about the Z axis, 42 degrees about the Y axis, 15 degrees about the X axis. Then the model's orientation with respect to the screen (not with respect to the axes) would change.
  • Not currently available sorry.
  • I have been experimenting somewhat with Paraview. The camera parameters can be set from the "Adjust Camera" dialog box (see image); alternately, the model's orientation can be manually adjusted and the values in the dialog box are simultaneously updated. The camera parameters can be saved from the dialog box (multiple views can be saved). To return to a previous view just load one of the saved views.

(In Paraview, the "Adjust Camera" dialog box can be accessed via the camera icon in the ribbon just above the graphics window.)

• Look into PvPython PvBatch. It's standard punishment for interns around here to capture good post activities in paraview and save as Python script.

Also check out Paraview Glance

https://kitware.github.io/paraview-glance/app/

This is a neat little feature that lets you view a variety of results with full rotation, scale changes and a few other things. Can be very handy.