Coreform Cubit mesh import

Has anyone tried generating a mesh for a step solid in Coreform Cubit and importing it into Mecway? I'm wondering what export format you should select in Cubit to import.

Comments

• Cubit used to be Trelis, but now Coreform markets it, and they have a free 50000 element version (for hobbyists and students), which is what I used. I tried the Abaqus (inp) export but gave unexpected results.
  • I see it can also export I-DEAS .unv format which Mecway can import, so you could try that.
  • Victor,
    I did get the abaqus.inp input to work OK, I'll try the I-DEAS format as well. It does a slick job on hex element meshing, and is much more intuitive to learn on the fly. 50000 hex elements is plenty for my purposes, plus the Mecway refine commands work on the mesh, allowing more elements once imported.
  • One thing I noticed when I imported the inp file.....I had to use a cutting plane when I set up the hex mesh in Cubit to map elements properly. After meshing, I exported the mesh and imported it into Mecway, where it came in as 2 bodies. Is there any way to prevent this or recombine them in either program? When I used segmenting planes in Salome and imported the mesh, that did not happen.
  • If the surface meshes on the interfaces are the same, you can combine them in Mecway with Mesh tools -> Merge nearby nodes, but if they're not, you can't. Bonded contact may be an option if you can't get the meshes to match.