Salome not saving

I hope this is allowed on here.

I am running Salome 9.4.0 on Windows 10. It is doing that old favourite where it refuses to save the study. I have got around this so far but just using a different filename, but this has just stopped working, so now I can't save (could be related to file size, but I do have disk space). The last hdf successfully saved was 2.44 KB. I have dumped the study to a Python script, but this is just 20 KB, so I am doubtful as to what information is saved. Has it saved the mesh I have created?

I have tried to fix this before, but there are so many instances and different fixes out there it is hard to know which to try. I previously followed a fix which involved adding a line to a test file, but nothing changed.

Does anyone know which fix will help me?

Also any advice on saving the file I already have open would be welcome, or on what the Python dump actually retains.

Thanks, and happy new year to all, especially those with morons for a government.

Dave

Comments

• The only solution for this cases that I have found is just finish the work and export the mesh as .unv.
  • from CA for Windows site-
    "The issue can also append with temporary MED files created at study save. Removing loaded MED file from the study in SMESH module should solve this issue"
    Also you could fire up another instance of the program and import the script to see what you get
  • Thanks Sergio.

Martin, thanks also. Do you know how to find/remove the loaded MED file? I have no idea. I was worried about whether a second Salome instance would kill the first. Is it OK to start a second one?
  • edited January 2021
    It gets better. The menus in Salome have largely stopped working. I get no dropdown with Controls, Tools etc. The dropdowns within the dialogue boxes no longer drop down, but I can still select with the mouse wheel.

The save error brings up this kind of thing in the Python terminal:

HDF5-DIAG: Error detected in HDF5 (1.10.3) thread 16836:
    #000: c:\s\salome-9.4.0\sources\hdf5\src\h5f.c line 664 in H5Fclose(): not a file ID
    major: File accessibilty
    minor: Inappropriate type
    c:\s\salome-9.4.0\sources\medfile\src\ci\medfileclose.c [42] : Erreur A  la fermeture du fichier
    c:\s\salome-9.4.0\sources\medfile\src\ci\medfileclose.c [42] :
    c:\s\salome-9.4.0\sources\medfile\src\hdfi\_medfilecreate.c [98] : Erreur A  la crAcation du fichier
    c:\s\salome-9.4.0\sources\medfile\src\hdfi\_medfilecreate.c [98] : C:\Users\dstupple\AppData\Roaming\158850\_SMESH_Mesh.med
    c:\s\salome-9.4.0\sources\medfile\src\ci\medfileversionopen.c [107] : Erreur A  la crAcation du fichier
    c:\s\salome-9.4.0\sources\medfile\src\ci\medfileversionopen.c [107] : C:\Users\dstupple\AppData\Roaming\158850\_SMESH_Mesh.med
    th. 0000007EEA6FF8E0 - Trace c:\s\salome-9.4.0\sources\smesh\src\drivermed\drivermed_w_smeshds_mesh.cxx [1001] : The following exception was caught:
    c:\s\salome-9.4.0\sources\smesh\src\medwrapper\med_wrapper.cxx[106]::TFile - MEDfileVersionOpen('C:\Users\dstupple\AppData\Roaming\158850\_SMESH_Mesh.med',1',4',0',0)

I tried several variations of

_SMESH_Mesh.med.close()

In the Python terminal in Salome, but I get an error:

NameError: name '_SMESH_Mesh' is not defined

I think I'm going to have to restart Salome and import the latest version of the mesh that I exported.
  • I guess you might go to the Aster module, look for the MED file and unload it.
    Pretty sure I have run two instances at once before
  • I can't see an Aster module. If it's in Tools menu, I can't access it as it won't drop down. I think there's probably something that could be done from the Python console, but I don't know what. I think I'm beaten on this occasion. I will see how much I can recover from the dumps and report back. Not now, I'm pretty fed up with it. I'm going to set up an electron optics sim instead.
  • Happy New Year Dave, I am always impressed with people who can accomplish something with Salome. I have downloaded that thing and then punted more times than I care to admit. That big bloated 2 GB install, the six rows of menu items, I just don't get it :-). Thank you for reminding me why I scraped it off my hard drive!
  • Happy new year John. Salome is one of those packages that is very impressive in the training videos, but pretty non-intuitive when you come to use it. When it stops working deep into a project, it's soul-destroying.
  • For anyone that's inerested, when Salome refused to save my work, I tried dumping the project into a Python script. Both the scripts I dumped refused to load, with a mix of syntax errors and Traceback errors.
  • A bit late replying but I had the same problem. If you can upgrade to 9.5, or 9.6 the problem is fixed.
    As for using Salome I have found it very good for meshing but I always import atleast 90% finished model then partition and fix to get the best mesh
  • Our IT man did a fine job last time of getting Salome running on Windows after I had difficulty, and he created a little batch file to start it up properly. He was going to install the latest version today but the Salome website is down, possibly due to the OVH fire in Strasbourg. He's going to try to find what he needs on GitHub.
  • I am downloading "SALOME MECA 2019-WINDOWS+file save fixed". I will try it out.

MANUEL
  • Hello Manuel, do you have a working download link? The Salome website appears to have vanished without trace.
  • edited March 2021
    Good morning DAVE_STUPPLE:
    I just clicked on the download link I found in the site.

Then I just copied into my hard disk. I run it. I the files are finally saved as it says.
    However, I have not done any deeper test yet.

MANUEL