Weldment structure

edited December 2020
I create a 3d model by SolidWorks. I want to check the strenght of the welded structure. Will I import each beam seperately or an assembly that includes beams?

Comments

• There may be different ways to make the calculation
    1) loading an assembly
    That means for me all individual parts are made to one single part. Take care that all beam ends are well conneted to each other, otherwise you'll get in troble while meshing. That means all parts are seen as fully welded.
    2) load the beams step by step and connect them using bonded contacts. It's more work to do. But gives more posibillity to decide where parts are interconnected .
    3) if it is a beam/truss model use beam/truss elements. You have to model the skeleton lines of the beam model
  • If your model is made by standard beam profiles, you should mesh in Salome in order to use hexa elements and keep the node/element count low, otherwise using automatic tet mesh and at least two element in thikness would lead to unsannely big mesh. Check this two examples

Skid analysis using hexa meshing
    http://mecway.com/forum/discussion/725/skid-analysis-using-mecway-salome-calculix#latest

Skid analysis using hexa meshing and beams elements
    http://mecway.com/forum/discussion/760/skid-analysis-using-hexa-vs-beam-elements#latest
  • edited December 2020
    If you are doing this to code, you will want to look at AWS methods or equivalent, and possibly require someone with AWS certification. There are specific guidelines for modeling welds and evaluating results, and they have more to do with getting joint loads and applying the appropriate criteria depending on the joint type, size, length. Like subsea and ASME Section VIII work, satisfying the standard is usually what gets a design approved, not just a really good FEA model :)