Saving RAM

I noted that Mecway requires a lot of RAM for big models (fo example about 9Gb for 700k nodes model)
Could be a good idea to have an option that shut down Mecway during the solver execution?
And after that solver has concluded the calculus it be launched automatically.

Comments

• edited August 2020
    There is an option to launch Mecway from command line to solve a problem without opening the GUI. Anyway being able to it directly from the interface would be great, now for big problems take a lot of memory to show it plus to solve it. Look in the chapter 14 of the Mecway manual
  • Memory use can increase steadily as you use it. I know of at least two reasons but haven't ruled out the possibility of a memory leak:

1) The memory reported by Task Manager is sometimes not actually used and is immediately given up when an application needs it, causing no problems. So don't trust that number unless application performance is actually suffering.

2) Undo buffer. Each modification to the model, no matter how minor, creates an entire copy of the whole thing except the solution data. Old copies get cleared to maintain a limited size but that may be several GB. I'm looking into making this work better. If you save and re-open the file, it'll clear the undo buffer, but you might not easily see the effect because of 1).

The contour plot can also use a lot of memory with the Banded option and a high Resolution. The Gradient option uses almost no memory as well as being faster.