custom beam section?

Hi everyone,

Is there a way to create custom beam sections not defined in the default materials? and add them to the library?
I am looking at sections like an asymmetric I beams or a L section on top of a wide flange? I am working on stiffened plates of floating vessels.

Thanks.
Jalal.

Comments

• Hi Jalal

I have done something in the past which may help, it was for conveyor design. What I did was to develop a program in excel which created a .liml file (which is text readable). This file basically developed the entire model (including loading) which could then be opened in Mecway. To do this I had to review the methodology in which Mecway wrote its data to the .liml file, which is self explanatory.

What you might want to consider is having a naming convention for your beams and a data base kept on excel or another format which is accessible through a programming language. Once you have a model you could just open it up through a programming interface which will check you naming convention and then assign the correct sections properties to that name...

This may be a lot of work to do if you have 1 or 2 beams, but if you are dealing with a number of beams it may work in your favor.