Fluid Mechanics Support

Victor,

I was recently going through the Calculix user's manual and noticed there is a large section regarding FVM in Calculix. I was also surprised to see quite a few different example benchmarks of the capability (eg backward facing step).

Are there any plans to extend Mecway capability to allow CCX to handle fluid problems?

Comments

• edited May 2020
    You may find it worth your while to look at OpenFoam for fluids. It is open source and extremely powerful. Some useful links:

blueCape Windows-based version
    http://joomla.bluecape.com.pt/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=95&Itemid=2&lang=en

SimCommons examples using Mecway as prep for OpenFoam
    https://sites.google.com/view/simcommons/fluid-analysis

Josef Nagy YouTube channel, videos like this one:

• edited May 2020
    Hey JohnM,

Thanks for pointing OpenFOAM out. I've used it quite a bit in the past as well and it works great. I've just found there aren't a lot of GUI options that offer the streamlined ease of use that MECWAY offers at a similar price point.

I was not aware of the SimCommons information though. Thanks for these, I'm definitely interested in looking at these some more.

Only brought up CCX option as an FVM solver because if MECWAY were to incorporate more fluid mechanics options than what the Internal solver options are, it seems like Victor would only need to add additional CCX input card options rather than adapting it to a completely different code. I feel he'd need to add things like support for snappyHexMesh, etc and figure out the post processing. Whereas CCX I would think would have similar output to what the FEM results already supported. I am not sure at all about this but thought I'd ask.
  • I don't intend to add support for CCX's fluid features except possibly one or two specific bits for a special case. Otherwise it may end up with half-baked fluid capability and perhaps need new kinds of inputs, visualizations, etc.

The existing fluid analysis types are just there because they always were.
  • Hi Victor,

Do you plan to add Fluid 3D analysis to Mecway?
  • No, sorry.