Replacing Parts with Point Mass in an Assembly

In the attached assembly model file, I am only interested in stresses on the shaft. In order to reduce the global mesh size I would like to replace the fan, the motor, and the stator with point masses and apply mass moment of inertias and other boundary conditions associated with them. I know there is a "new mass" B.C. option in the Mecway CCX solver that we could use.

Motor and shaft have steel properties and rotor and stator have nylon nylon material.

I need guidance on how to setup the point masses and apply B.C's.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Could you attach either the STEP files or the mesh too?

For a remote mass with CCX, you can use node-surface coupling and put a mass on the reference node.
  • Step files are attached.
    Thanks
  • edited May 2020
    I see. CCX doesn't have point rotational inertia so I think you'll need to build some structure and position the point masses so they give the required moments of inertia. I would use beam elements to hold them together, though it might be possible to use the node-surface coupling to couple all the point mass's nodes into a single rigid body.

It might be easier to make simplified solid parts that have the required properties, or maybe just use a very coarse mesh for the existing parts.