General query regarding Mecway capabilities

Hi Guys
I have not used Mecway extensively as yet. I have a few questions regarding the software:
• Is there capability to model soils?
• At work I use Strand7 which has the ability to extract the moments, shear forces ect… of plate/brick elements which have been modelled as structural sections. For instance one could model an I-section and thereafter extract moments and so forth as you if it were a beam element. Is there any way to perform this on Mecway?
• I see that one can model fluid elements, can this be used in place of the conventional hydrostatic loading?

Comments

• Hello Mishal

- Soil only as a linear elastic material, as far as I know. You might look at Tochnog Professional for soil which is now free. It used to have an interface in Mecway but they are now only compatible by some common file formats.
    - No. Though it has moment and force per length and in-plane shear force (notably, no out-of-plane shear force) on shell elements which I think you could convert into bending moments/etc for simple beam section shapes.
    - No. There's no fluid-structure interaction.
  • As you mentioned Tochnog Victor- is there a plan to reintegrate it with Mecway, as it's free now?
  • Not unless there's enough demand. The reason for removing the integration was that nobody seemed to use it and it was complicating the code.

Note that Tochnog Professional is different from TOCHNOG. From what I understand, TOCHNOG is older and less advanced, but open source.
  • https://www.tochnogprofessional.nl/

thought it's this one- on their website it states it's free. From what I understand they now charge for technical support, but solver seems freeware.
  • Yep, that one.
  • Hi Victor
    I want to be a little bit curious. What are the plans for the next Mecway release?
    Some new features?
    New options for meshing?
    When will it come?

Mecway is agreat software, hope development is continued
  • Hopefully by the end of February. No new meshing options but some new features will be:
    - A built-in Python interpreter and partial API for writing scripts to read solution data and a few other basic operations. To be extended in subsequent releases.
    - 3Dconnexion SpaceMouse support.
    - Selecting the back of geometry surfaces from STEP files.
    - Automatic and manual placement of center of rotation for navigation.
    - Pinned support for a flexible surface supported at its centroid.
    - Rigid body, useful for remote or distributed loads and constraints (hopefully).
    - Faster graphics and file opening for big models.
    - Various minor feature requests and usability improvements.
    - Lots of bug fixes.
  • That sounds interesting
    thank you for your information
  • Will there be a feature that allows one to view mass participation? If not, it would be nice to have such a feature
  • Look forward to the new release. Love the product and thanks for all you do.
  • edited February 2020
    No mass participation, sorry.

Thanks Famous_Mortimer
  • Got info from Guido about Riks implementation:
    "implementation probably starting Oct 2020. Should also work with contact".
    If it will, then CCX will be the only free solver capable of doing solution control by arc-length AND using contact :)
  • That's great news. Not only will it be good for post-buckling, but I hope it'll also solve a lot of convergence failures that happen with contact.