Import 3d scan

Looking for software to analyze 3d scanned parts. The Idea is to do different stress tests on mechanisms which was in use for some time and maybe was damaged a bit to find out if there's any damage and is it critical.
I've foun info that Mecway can work with CAD files, but will it work with data from 3d scanner without making in-between CAD model. To scan I use Artec Space Spider. It works with it's own software - Artec Studio.
Specifications describes several formats to export. I'm not sure which to choose.
Artec themself recommends me Geomagic Control X. I mean they really pushed me to buy it. But it's really expensive and we've already spend lot's of money on the scanner. So I'm researching other options.
It would be great if you can show me some tips or examples of processing 3d scans in Mecway if it is possible.
Thank you!

Comments

• edited January 2020
    Hi,

looking at the spec for Artec Studio v14 it can export geometry as OBJ, PLY, WRL, STL, BTX, PTX, AOP, ASC, Disney PTEX, E57, XYZRGB. Looking at the Mecway import options it can read STL files - see section 13.4 of the manual https://mecway.com/manual.pdf ":
    An STL file contains a list of triangles in 3D space. Each triangle is imported to Mecway as a tri3
    element. Coincident triangle vertices are automatically merged into the same node to form a
    continuous mesh. You can also convert these surface triangles into a volume mesh using Mesh tools
    → Automesh 3D.
    The STL files generated by CAD applications often contain triangles with very large aspect ratios (long
    and thin). These are usually unsuitable for use as finite elements so you should use Automesh 3D to
    improve their shape.
    The STL geometry from the scan software will be a set of triangles representing the surface. I don't know if it will be a complete surface from the scan. For good FEA the triangles need to be close to equilaterals which sounds from the above that the 'automesh 3D' would be able to sort out (I've not used this function). Also it needs to be a complete surface such that it creates an enclosed volume. If the geometry is missing areas (ie has holes in the surface) then you will need to create that gometry - not sure what the most efficient way to do that in Mecway is.

Do you have an example scan STL file you can share with the forum (doesn't have to be of the real components)? Also what type of components and what "damage" are you needing to identify and assess? The resolution of the Space Spider seems to be very high (0.1mm) so should be able to see gross distortion/out of tolerance, dents, significant scrapes, and wear, but will not detect smaller forms of damage like pitting/cracks/etc. If you are interested in effects on gross strength of components then you should be fine, but if you are interested in things like fatigue and fracture you will need to think quite carefully about how you characterise the scan data for analysis.

Pete.

• Thank you for your detail answer.
    I can output geometry without any holes there's tools to deal with it in Studio.
    Well. I work in car machinery. My bosses decided use digital technologies to control the control the condition of machine tools. And I had an addition today. I was told we also will perform quality control of the production. So right now I'm researching the options.
    I thing in future we can get other equipment and software if needed, but for the moment we already have Space Spider and have to start with something.
    This area of quality control and machinery is quite new for me, I have a lot experience with 3d scanning, but for 3d printing purposes.
  • Hi, I'm not sure I understand what your goal is beyond importing the STL data. Are you assessing the production tooling or the manufactured components? or both?

1) If it is the manufactured component... what are you going to do with the 3D scan data? Are you looking for the deviation compared to the nominal? once you have that, what are you going to do with that - are you going to amend the existing stress analyses to see what effect the out-of-tolerance has? Is the objective to relax tolerances of manufacture of existing components / extend production tooling life by demonstrating that increased tolerance deviation gives acceptable stresses?

2) If it is the tooling, what kind of damage are you looking for? Is there a lack of existing stress analysis for tooling such that you need to create this from scratch? Do you have loading data (and histories) for the tooling? What analysis do you plan to do to demonstrate that it is safe?

Pete.