Voids in mesh

I have a large flat sheet with large openings in it. It refuses to mesh. When I do a surface mesh and then view open cracks it has random voids.

Comments

• It looks like it is confusing where the corners of the cells are. Any suggestions?
  • I've never seen that before, but is it that the midside nodes aren't connected to their adjacent elements? If so, then perhaps mesh it as linear elements and convert to quadratic afterwards.

Otherwise, I would try Gmsh which is generally better than the built-in Netgen and if you use the GUI, it's more informative about what's wrong.
  • I unchecked quadratic elements and it seems to have meshed fine now. See attached picture. Thanks.
  • Turns out this is a bug in Mecway, not Netgen. Thanks for discovering it. It happens with this combination of settings: Surface mesh, Quad dominant, Quadratic elements, and not Fit midside nodes to geometry and only if the resulting mesh has a mixture of quad and tri elements.

You can also correct it by using Mesh tools -> Merge nearby nodes after meshing.