Propeller Hub

2»

Comments

• I went back to JohnM method now that I found the dlls thanks to prop_design paths.

However, I wasn't able to find mkl_intel_lp64.dll just like Sergio couldn't find it (not sure if you did now).

I went ahead and make the folder without mkl_intel_lp64.dll and it's now running. Not sure if it's needed?
  • hi vmh,

sorry you are having problems. i can't tell from the pics. but are you sure you added the locations to one of your path variables? unfortunately, the intel mkl doesn't seem to do that. also, you can search C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\ to see if the required dll files are even in there and if so where. perhaps they are in a different folder than my computer for some reason. i'm new to this as well. so by no means an expert. if you can't find the files anywhere in that folder then i would uninstall and re-install the mkl. i didn't do any testing to know what dlls to look for. i just went off what john posted and it worked for me. the dlls were in two different folders on my computer. so i added both locations to my user path variable. you could add them to your system path too if you wanted. that gets pretty long on it's own so that's why i added them to my user path. that and i don't have any other profiles on this computer. so no need to be system wide. like john said, i don't think we're supposed to share the dll files ourselves. that would be the easy option. victor is looking into that option now i believe.
  • prop_design,
    thanks for the paths, I was to locate them all using your paths, except for one (mkl_intel_lp64.dll). Even without the one missing dll, it's running now. Im doing some check on it now. Thanks alot!
  • VMHVMH
    edited May 2019
    Just finished one test using the same model but different solvers. ccx2.15_MT complied by Kwip vs. ccx2.15_pardiso.

All I can say ccx2.15_pardiso is Amazing. One of my model had alot of issue converging and I had to let it run for more than an hour plus using +100 iterations but pardiso solved it in about 8min using only about 16 iterations.

JohnM: THANK YOU!!!
  • And I would like to add:
    I tested that ccx2.15_pardiso does not have inconsistent linear buckling analysis results using the multi-threading. I literally click run over and over like 40 times and didn't see any differences.
  • edited May 2019
    i'm glad it's working for you. yes, pardiso is amazing. my mind was blown by the speedup. i felt like it was christmas. i was so hyped up for about a day. if not for john no one would have known about it though. i knew of pardiso. but i didn't know it was that much faster than what we were using. not sure why you are one dll short. that is weird.
  • oh ok. i think i see what you are saying. i totally missed that file. i guess it's intel specific. the path for that is as follows:

C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2019.3.203\windows\mkl\lib\intel64_win

if you add that third location it will get you what you want. maybe it only causes an error if you have an intel processor. i have an amd processor. i will see if i can edit my previous post.
  • Found it! Thanks alot!
  • just tried one of my old model with 325,979 nodes running linear static only and it solved in 1min23sec. I was like wow!
  • It seems there is an error in CCX PARDISO's README_Install:
    it is not mkl_intel_lp64.dll that is needed, but mkl_intel_lp64.lib instead
  • edited July 2019
  • I updated to 2019 Update 4 of Intel Parallel Studio and MKL. For some reason I did have to reboot to get the system variables to work this time. Before I didn't. For update for the paths are now as follows:

C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2019.4.245\windows\redist\intel64_win\mkl

C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2019.4.245\windows\redist\intel64_win\compiler

C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2019.4.245\windows\mkl\lib\intel64_win
  • edited September 2019
    A couple of things I've recently found:

Although the minimum set of dlls JohnM listed are OK, they're the default ones for the lowest spec CPUs. If you include all the other dlls from the MKL redist folder too, it automatically loads ones that are optimized for the CPU it's running on. In my case, I got an additional 50-100% speedup after adding mkl_avx2.dll. Prop_design's method of setting the path would pick these up already.

The non-MKL version of PARDISO, (PARDISO 6) is prohibitively expensive for me to distribute with Mecway. They offer a cheaper license for commercial end users starting at $4000 USD annually. Also doubtful if it's directly compatible with CCX.
  • how many of those DLLs are there? Maybe I have to break down and learn the right way to do this! Thanks for finding this, I'll be testing myself!
  • There's a couple of dozen but I doubt you actually need all of them for only PARDISO. Here's a sort of explanation but I still can't quite work it out more accurately than "everything in redist/intel64_win/mkl":

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-math-kernel-library-intel-mkl-linkage-and-distribution-quick-reference-guide

One of the MKL guys said that not including them can be risky since they haven't tested it with only that minimum set, but it worked correctly on all my CCX test cases which is about 200 different models.
  • I copied all of them of it, about 500MB into my PARDISO directory, and saw another significant improvement. Worth the disk space!
  • Below are the updated paths for setting the user environment variables. It's not clear whether you will have to reboot or not. Two out of three times, I did not have to reboot after adding the environment variables. Each time was a different version of Windows 10.

To allow CCX to find the Intel MKL:

For Intel MKL 2019 Update 3, installed to user environment variables, reboot wasn't required:

C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\parallel_studio_xe_2019.3.056\compilers_and_libraries_2019\windows\redist\intel64_win\mkl

C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2019.3.203\windows\redist\intel64_win\compiler

C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2019.3.203\windows\mkl\lib\intel64_win

For Intel MKL 2019 Update 4, installed to user environment variables, reboot was required:

C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2019.4.245\windows\redist\intel64_win\mkl

C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2019.4.245\windows\redist\intel64_win\compiler

C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2019.4.245\windows\mkl\lib\intel64_win

For Intel MKL 2019 Update 5, installed to user environment variables, reboot wasn't required:

C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2019.5.281\windows\redist\intel64_win\mkl

C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2019.5.281\windows\redist\intel64_win\compiler

C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2019.5.281\windows\mkl\lib\intel64_win