Memory, renumbering and out of core solving

Victor,
I am building a 2nd order shell element model, for a dynamic analysis, that I predict will exceed 300,000 nodes.
Does the Mecway internal solver (modal vibration 3D, dynamic response 3D) cater for models where the matrix operations are too large to fit within the available memory (RAM)?
The structure that I'm working on has several discrete shell meshes that are connected, in a chain, using bonded contact.
Does the preprocessor renumber bonded pieces of mesh, for minimisation of matrix size/memory requirement?
Is there a best practice within the model construction that could assist, i.e. does order of mesh creation alone determine the node numbering?
Does the bonded contact form a rigid connection between the nodes of the master and slave element face sets, in such a way that numerous bonded contact pairs don't significantly impede the solution, i.e. is it ok to have 10 or 100 bonded contacts and expect to solve effectively?
Tim

Comments

• Yes, it does disk swapping when it detects there's not enough RAM.

The solver (Pardiso) also optimizes the ordering in the matrix so there's no need to consider node numbering in the model.

Bonded contact creates constraint equations between each slave node and all the nodes of the single master face that it matches with, not with the whole master surface. so it's effect on matrix size is probably less than using elements to connect them.

Something to be careful of with dynamic response is that the solution might be too big because of all the time steps. It might pay to look at the file size of a solution with a single step and multiply by the number of time steps to estimate how big it will end up. The entire file gets loaded into RAM when you open it.
  • Victor,
    Thank you for clarifying these points for me, all good news.
    Tim