Version 10 beta

edited November 2018
Mecway 10 beta is available at the link below

https://mecway.com/download/mecway100beta1.msi
https://mecway.com/download/mecway100rc.msi
https://mecway.com/download/mecway100.msi

Improvements:

User Interface
Selection start point stays at the same location in the model while zooming/panning
Shows solution value on status bar when hovering over a node
Faster graphics when a large number of elements is selected
Element and face selection sees through hidden foreground elements
Cutting plane scroll bar can be positioned with more precision by entering a value using a right-click menu
New components, materials, loads & constraints, and named selections are initially selected in the outline tree for easier finding and renaming
New contact doesn't default to both master and slave being the same selection
Diagrams in the element orientation window
More icons in menus
All toolbar buttons are now also on the menus
Configurable color for geometry view
Delete all unused materials with a single context menu item
Starting the internal solver closes the CCX solver panel and vice-versa
Minor changes and improved error messages

Meshing
Minimum element size option for Netgen meshing
New version of Netgen (6.2.1808) added as an option
Can open Gmsh 4.0 mesh file format
Correct collapsed elements preserves face selections and works on all quadratic element shapes
Rearranged controls in Meshing Parameters dialog box

CalculiX
Node selections are carried through to the solution. Excludes models with laminates and nodes without elements
Cyclic symmetry
Heat flux load
Orthotropic thermal expansion coefficients
CCX element type moved to the CCX branch and renamed to "custom element type"
Pyramid elements are imported into the solution as pyramids instead of collapsed hexes
Custom step contents is now inserted at the end of the step block immediately before *END STEP instead of before *NODE FILE. Existing files still behave the same for compatibility.
If a node is fully constrained to 0 displacement (or rotation) then rotation (or displacement) constraints on that node don’t have to be in the same directions

Internal solver
DC current flow can be coupled with thermal for Joule heating (Transfer internal heat generation from solution)
Cyclic symmetry can use faces as well as nodes
2D and axisymmetric solvers move all nodes to the Z=0 plane

Other
New functions for formulas: atan2, heaviside, unittriangle, max, min
Surface integral tool for solution
Open .ply (Polygon File Format) files.
Bug fixes
Some already deprecated features can no longer be added to models

Comments

• Thanks Victor.

Meshing looks really fast now. WOW!!

When meshing with Gmsh version 4.0.4. I need to introduce minimum element size x 10E-3. I remember to comment this with you on previous version. If I do not scale it seems like when I say 1mm is taking 1 meter.
    I thing gmsh guys didn’t fix the scaling bug.
  • edited November 2018
    There's now an option for the Gmsh scaling change in the Options window.
  • edited November 2018
    I tried. Option (meter gmsh 4), and it correctly scales the whole mesh. I’m using gmsh 4.0.4
    The problem is that on the maximum element size definition box the scale factor is not applied so it incorrectly assumes 1 mm is 1 m as the maximum element size.
    Not sure if explain it correctly.

The cutting plane with number is really nice.

• Oh. I understand now. Thanks! I'll fix that.
  • edited November 2018
    Hello Victor,

¿Did you have the chance to introduce an ALT- key combination to show/hide elements?

Thanks
  • edited November 2018
    Yes. AlT+V, S now toggles element surfaces
  • Victor, what is the "Import from Library" option under Lab menu?

Regards
  • It adds that option to the File menu, which presents files and folders as submenus for importing, rather than going through the File -> Import dialog box.

It's a special feature for one customer who used Import a lot to save them navigating the whole file tree. But please let me know if you find it useful and it might be worth promoting it out of Labs.
  • Hi Victor,

I'm not sure if this is te right place for request for the new version o:) but could it be possible to rename the loads and constraints (as is by the named selections?) Would make life much easier in case of multiple constraints and element orientations :)

Thanks!
    Eduart
  • Thanks for the suggestion Eduart. What I'm thinking about for that problem is named folders which you can use to group items into. Would that work just as well for you?
  • That would be really helpfull indeed.Thanks!
  • Sounds similar to NX "load cases". In that, you first define several loads and bc, and then create a load case dragging each bc and load to that. In that way you can create several load cases (the can even be different kind of analysis if I remember well) mixing and reusing the loads and bc. Even that, when you had several loads, is hard to differentiate if they are not propperly named.

But that is not very similar to the actual Configurations but with different lay out (on the same tree)?