Radial co-ordinates

When modelling part of a cone section how can i set the co-ordinate system to match i.e. vertical radial and tangential instead of x y z , also how do I automesh the sloping curved surface, i cannot get 2d or 3d to work.

Is it better to create the model in Freecad or similar and create then import a the mesh

Comments

• Mecway doesn't have different global coordinate systems, but many features can be defined using functions of position which allows you to achieve the same effect.

If you mean the element coordinate systems, you can set them all parallel to the cone's axis and they'll end up normal, towards the apex, and tangential. If you need something more complicated, you can use formulas in Loads & Constraints -> New element orientation.

If you're making the mesh by hand, best to start with quadratic elements since you can refine, unrefine, and do local refinement without losing (much of) the correct curved shape. Then you shouldn't need Automesh 2D/3D.

You could also make it as a solid and use Automesh 3D to make a surface mesh and delete the unwanted parts.

Or CAD of course, but for a simple shape like a cone, which one is quicker depends what you're most comfortable with. For the model you posted in the other thread, I'd make it in Mecway.
  • How do i set the parallel to the cone axis? the only option i can see is to orient the U axis either to X, Y or Z. Original elements have been created using revolve.
  • Those are components of the direction vector which will then be projected onto the element's surface to form the direction of the U axis. So if the cone's axis is Y, then set the U axis to:
    X: 0
    Y: 1
    Z: 0