EM Field Simulation

edited January 2015
I am using your program for mechanical FEA and it works great. I would like to know if it is possible to simulate a EM field set up by a magnetron (antenna) in a resonant chamber. It does not have to use EM elements it just needs to handle 3D waves. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Hello Protontim

I don't know much about EM modelling. Though apparently [1] you can use the Helmoltz equation which is what's solved in the 3D Acoustic Resonance analysis type. For EM waves with permittivity = 1, set speed of sound = speed of light, and treat pressure as "A component of the magnetic field strength vector".

Mecway also has a time-dependent acoustic wave analysis type which is disabled by default because it isn't well tested nor very practical. Please contact me by email if you think this might be useful.

[1] S. S. Rao, The Finite Element Method, 4ed, p643
  • Thanks. I purchased the book you referenced to have a closer look. I will contact you by email if it seems profitable. Thanks again.
  • What I quoted is pretty much the entirety of what Rao says on the subject of EM. The rest of the book is still a good description of the finite element method applied mostly to structures. I hope it's valuable to you.