view fit to window is not working in

view fit to window is not working in latest version.
I clicked solve after adding some constraint equations. there was no results visible so i tried clicking view all. then went back to component screen clicked show all then view zoom all but still nothing is visible

also where I have two shells connected a along a line of common nodes at 90 degrees to each other how do i release them so that there is no moment transfer between them across this common edge

also when I have a 1d beam element supported by a node at the top of a wall shell panel how do i release the beam element so that there is no moment transfer between the two at the beam support.

Comments

• I think the Fit to window problem is triggered by a faulty solution that leaves the display in a broken state. You may need to restart Mecway to correct it then see if the solution has extreme values or NaN using Solution -> Table.

There's no simple way to make a hinge between shells. Some ideas are:

A ) Use constraint equations to couple the displacement DOFs, like
    0 = 1 ux1 + -1 ux2

0 = 1 uy1 + -1 uy2

0 = 1 uz1 + -1 uz2

Not practical for a large number of nodes unless you generate them externally and write them directly to the .liml file.

B ) Build a solid edge along the joint that's rigidly connected to one part (eg bonded contact or overlapping elements) and only connected by nodes to the other. Example attached.

For a beam, it's easier. Use Flexible joint on beam under Loads & Constraints. Check all 3 boxes to release all 3 rotational DOFs.

• thanks, I do have a few of nodes about 350 so not keen on option A
    Not sure how i can easily generate it externally either. Its a pity that flexible joint only applies to beams. I was hoping it might be possible with new node rotation, say by entering -1 values meaning releases instead of fixity.
  • re fit to view. closed and reopening fixed it. constraint equations were wrong and i had an isolated node appearing as part of the beam element even though it was not connected to any other nodes. Also discovered some duplicate nodes in the same place along the beams meaning it was not a single continuously member even though it looked like it was. took me a while to figure out what was cause 10^+9 mm deflection instead of a few mm
  • View -> Open cracks is useful for spotting disconnected nodes and elements.
  • thanks i'll try to remember that