After a little guidance please

Hi all,

I have a small gear which I am 3D printing, and would like to see what sort of force the tips would take before they snap. This will be rotating but I think for the purpose of this test just needs fixing around the central hole, and a force adding to one of the tips? Would you agree? I've not got into figuring out not modelling all the part yet, so I appreciate I need to make the file smaller.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Comments

• I agree about fixing the shaft unless it's spinning so fast that dynamic effects are important.

The worst case force is at the tip? I guess deformations are going to be large before it breaks and that perhaps the tip bends over, distributing the force over a larger area and where the tooth is thicker. So it might be more accurate to do a nonlinear analysis with contact and the mating gear if you want to squeeze more strength out of it.

Is friction important? I imagine that tooth shape would have sliding at the point where force is applied, which would cause a friction force. In that case, perhaps either hand-calc the friction and include it into the load or model the mating gear and use friction contact.
  • Cheers Victor, it spins pretty quick but not worth worrying about.
    As for the tip, I wanted to see how much force the tip would take. As it's the thinnest bit, that takes the initial push from the mating gear.
    I see what you're saying about the friction, maybe I'll look into that, but for now basically just want to see when I'm likely to lose the end :-)