Concrete cylinder under heating

edited September 2014
Hi,
First, I'd like to thank for the free version of Mecway. I'm new in modelling but I find Mecway very easy to use so I'm willing to learn more and then buy the full version.

Question 1 - For what I've understand, Mecway seem to be oriented for steel and ductil materials. I work a lot with concrete and I'd like to do some non linear analisys (thermal and structural). Is it possible in Mecway?

Question 2 - I'm trying to build a small model for a concrete cylinder under heating (inside an electric furnace). I've started with a transient analisys to preview temperature evolution inside the concrete specimen.
Now, I'd like to simulate the cracking due to the action of high temperature (600ºC heating during one hour).
Is it possible to do this in Mecway?

Thanks.
Best regards

Jacinto

Comments

• Hello Jacinto

1) Mecway doesn't have any failure models so it's not specifically for ductile or brittle materials. The non-linear analysis currently only includes geometric nonlinearities like large rotations, stress stiffening and buckling and doesn't support thermal stress.

2) Not the cracking. You could obtain the stresses due to the non-uniform temperature distribution though. See p29 (Thermal Stress) of the Tutorials manual. In your case of a transient thermal analysis, set the time step to one you choose before transferring the temperatures into the model.