bonded contact

is there anyway to model a bonded contact where the contact is for compression only.

As an example i am trying to show the stresses applied to a nylon thermal isolation pad between a beam to beam end plate connection subject to combined shear and moment loading. see attached. 

Comments

• You can easily solve it in CCX, contact treatment is really wonderfull in this last versions. You could even model the bolt (or rivet?) preload by means of a thermal load.

Regards
  • edited September 2016
    This is the model solved with contacts on CCX, you should play a little with the friction coeficients also. I made a first run without defining the contact between the bolt shaft and holes, and due to the lateral loading the nylon pad slides away from the assembly! Now it include contacts there, so the part is keepd in place. In the second picture the bolts looks like if there were penetration, but is only due to the magnification used on the visualization.

Have applied only contact between the pad and plates, all the rest keep with bonded contact as I guess that they are welded.

Can you share the step files? Would be great to be able to improve a little de mesh.

The pictures are with an 5X amplification for the deformation, and solved with CCX 2.10. Would be greate to have at least this two data (and max. magnitud displacement) on the results screen.

Regards
  • Sergio

Thanks for your help

Yes its a simplified model of a bolt, washers and nut. I thought this would be good enough to simulate a bolt, nut and washers, as the bolt model attached seemed over the top for what i was doing.

Step files are attached as is the Freecad file, which is what i used to create them. You are correct that the beams are welded to the plate. I haven't yet managed how to model the welds correctly.

I'm interested in what you get. I don't know how to use calculix yet and what it can and cannot do.

Let me know how you get on

Dave

• edited September 2016
    Dave, in this case you can use the CCX features directly from the Mecway interface, select first 3d no lineal analysis and then the CCX contact feature will be available as a new boundary condition.

Normally you can start with the default setting and then tune the coefficients in case you have penetration of the nodes or need friction as in this case