Material type not accepted

I created a mesh by extruding faces. Now when I assign a material to that mesh the material is red, and "what's wrong" says:The geometric material type "None" is not allowed. It appears that some of the elements are surface elements still??? If there are surface elements they are all on one face and is should not be a problem to delete them. How would you suggest I diagnose and fix this. Thanks.

Comments

• I should say that it is my guess that there are surface elements there still. I don't know that for sure
  • protontim, can you provide the .liml file for better understanding?
  • One way is to turn on "Show node and element numbers" and look for element numbers on the surfaces. See attachment for how it will appear.

Alternatively, if the mesh is small enough, use Mesh tools -> Node/element list -> Elements tab and look for tri/quad shapes in the list.

To select them for deleting, you can:
    Change to Select faces mode
    Edit -> Select all. This selects only the external faces
    Change to Select nodes mode
    Change to Select elements mode
    Now only the shell elements should be selected, as long as there aren't any solid elements with all their faces on the exterior.

This method would be helpful for discovering them too.