Defining shell properties in MW internal analysis

I was trying to use the internal solver to look at an analysis that included laminate shells with materials that have directional dependant properties. In the static analysis I did not modify the calculix input data so was not too surprised to see the first waring about E3 only being used in by the CCX solver -and i think the 3rd warning is indicating this value is just ignored -but the second warning about the shell thickness being less the 10 microns -concerned me. The analysis appeared to generate a sensible solution but I wonder if I have set up the laminate data incorrectly?
The next issue I came across was when I tried to run a buckling analysis on the same model. This then threw out some more errors - first that laminate material is not allowed, then the shell thickness is less than 10 microns and also that element orientation is not allowed nor is shell offset. Is it possible I have set up the material properties incorrectly or is this a known limitation of the internal solver- are there any known work arounds that someone can suggest.?

Comments

• The warning about shell thickness is a new bug, sorry. It's not correctly reading the laminate thickness. Thanks for finding it.

Laminates, shell offset, and element orientation aren't supported for bucking with the internal solver. You would need to use CCX for that.

It's possible that laminates might work for buckling with the internal solver but I haven't properly tested it so they're marked as an error.
  • thanks for the rapid -reply. I have been looking at a model with a core laminated structure and was seeing differences when I used shell and solid laminates in CCX in buckling situations -i think it may partly due to the way I have "fixed" the end face being different on the shell edge to the solid edge? I was keen to see how the internal solve with shells would compare but with out the potential of Laminates, shell offset, and element orientation the comparison will be pointless. If I get time, I may run an isotropic material thru the model I have set up to compare all 3.
  • If before defining the laminate you enter the overall thickness in the geometry window, the less than 10micron error disappear.