Version 23

Mecway 23 is now available at the link below. As usual, it's a free update for all existing license holders, and includes the Spanish language manual translated by Germán Bresciano.

https://mecway.com/download

Changes

Option in meshing parameters to straighten edges of bad elements when using Fit midside nodes to geometry.
Edge detecting selection works on shell and line element edges.
Adjustable edge threshold angle for edge detecting selection and paint selection.
Shear force and bending moment diagrams for beam elements.
Contour plot on wireframe line elements.
Element orientations available in solution from CCX except when laminates are present.
Link to show that you can use and , and in table save filename.
Modal vibration 3D analysis type renamed to “Frequency”
Disallows exiting while saving because it corrupts the file.
Identification of badly shaped elements is more thorough and more consistent with the CCX solver's requirements.
Bad element topology check includes springs and dampers.
Several bug fixes.

Comments

• I have been using the version 23 beta for about 2 weeks with no issues related to the program, and it did pick up some badly shaped elements not found before.
  • Hi, the new slider control for the edge threshold is very nice, now we can pick complex face selections very easily. Can you implement the same kind of control for the cutting view? I feel that the actual slider is not so accurate.
  • Tanks Victor,

Not sure how you did that, but I had a demonic file with some Rigid elements linked like a chain that now is converging. ¿?¿ Mecway is more robust every day.
    Tanks also for the edge detection on shells.

• Liking everything you did for Line and Shell elements. Beam diagrams, Line contour plots, edge detection. Instant value added for me.

Thank You.
  • @Victor , I have seen that you mention that there are some internal check of element shapes and topology, could it be implemented in future version some kind of reporting on this elements checks? At the moment the only way to have an element quality report is exporting the mesh to Salome, and is very time consuming.
  • Victor, thank you very much for your new version.
    I will download it this week. I cannot help.
    I want to try out the stratighten edges on meshing round shapes (for example circular bolt holes).
    I also what to see shear and moment diagrams. I am excited...
    The truth is I really like all new features you added on MW23.
    Congratulations

mmartin
  • Thanks for all the feedback. Good to hear people will find some of these things helpful.

@Sergio, the bad element check doesn't measure quality but rather just checks for a non-positive Jacobian determinant (indicating non-positive element volume) at several locations in each element (integration points, and a few others). I'd have to investigate ways of measuring element quality and make a separate feature for that.

@disla, I don't think I did anything that would have helped CCX converge. Maybe it was cosmic rays ;)
  • edited December 2023
    Temperature contours on my pipe elements!

Edge selection also rocks, thanks for V23!

• Thanks for the new function "Contour plot on wireframe line elements." in V23

• Hi Fatigue_Pro.

Cool.
    May I ask you something?

I have seen your webpage and results comparison between ccx and Mecway Internal. I have never seen the first eigenfrequency to be higher than the second. Is that possible.?

By the way, Merry Christmas Everybody.

• edited December 2023
    Hi disla,

Thank you for your feedback. But the first mode is always the smallest. You can check the numbers in the result Mecway screenshots or in the animated pictures.
    I have only sorted the modes in the comparison table and tried to explain that behavior in the text above. But now i added a little comment to the comparison table, so I hope it is more clear.
    Here is the link to the discussed numbers in comparison table: https://fatigue.pro/2023/12/bicycle-steel-frame-in-mecway#modes

I wish everyone Merry Christmas.
  • Hi,

Is plasticity/thermal not available in the trial version 23?

Thank you.
  • set your solver to CCX, Nonlinear 3D, the option should appear.
  • Thank you JohnM