Rotating stress vectors for a remote bond

I have a model that is too large to mesh and simulate as a whole. However, the geometry is repetitive and can be reduced to a much smaller part and reasonably simulated, if the boundary conditions for the remaining piece could be created. Something as simple as a fixed, or elastic constraint will not correctly reproduce the constraint / degrees of freedom supplied by the missing portions of the model.

Is there any means in Mecway to take stresses from one surface, and apply them to a similar but disconnected surface of the same model in real time (during the same simulation)? This would be the same function as a bonded contact, but the master and slave surfaces would be significantly remote from each other. A rotation around the axis of the model would have to be applied to correctly re-vector the stresses.

Comments

• That sounds like what the cyclic symmetry constraint does.

In case your geometry is different, like maybe linear periodic symmetry, then no.
  • Looks like it does. I'll give it a try.

Thank you!
  • Is that a cyclic symmetry example? I just saw that today.
    Thank you,
    Paul
  • @pberry yes, skip to after the dummy geometry creation and you'll see the cyclic symmetry setup. Not hard to set up, but spend and entire career understanding :)
  • Wow, looks like 50 ways to disintegrate your turbine!
    Is this saving compute resources, or just speeding up creation of the geometry?
  • Don't read too much into the geometry creation, the Simcommons models are all built to run in under 1000 nodes. When I was in the gas turbine industry, we would work hard to keep the element count down but accurate enough to capture those higher modes in the tip shroud. Even with the massive increase in compute power since then, I would still work to that rule.