Hole tool when there is no node at center.

I have recently found myself in need to do some holes on a plate with centers at specific positions.
In my case (as in most cases I guess) there was no node at the hole center, so the tool doesn’t work.
There is an easy way to solve it.
Prepare a linear beam element with one node at the desired center and the second connected with the closer node on the mesh. Then the hole can be done as its new center “belongs to the mesh”.

Comments

• edited October 2023
    Hmmm. Looks easy enough, but didn't work every time for me. Often saw a Warning: Coincident faces were ignored. message before failure.

I first laid down the Hole Ctr. node on plane, then drew a line vector that. Next ran the Hole mesh routine, so maybe there are other steps?

Other methods I've often used:
    1. Drag a nearby element node to Merge with new Hole Ctr., then run Hole Tool.
    2. OR, Delete the element the Hole Ctr. lies in [make a window], then run Spider Tool from Hole Ctr. to surrounding nodes [make a cobweb] before executing Hole Tool.
    ~cwharpe

• Drag a nearby element node to Merge with new Hole Ctr., then run Hole Tool.

Oh, I like that. !!
    Thanks