Model automation for repetitive work

Hi Guys

Not specifically a Mecway question, but I would the opinions of the people in this group as everyone seems very versed in dealing with complex issues.

Please refer to the attached PDF for some clarity.
I am interested in automating the development of models for a portal frame. The portal frame will have various options where additional steel work may be provided. The development of the model will be performed through a python script which will ultimately develop the topology. The development of the topology becomes a complex topic since having additions to the model will develop complexities.

My current thought is to use a JSON file to store the data and develop a graph network to figure out how to layout the structure thereafter use this information to develop the topology. It sounds easy but I think there are going to be numerous complexities when dealing with such a problem.

The brute force way would be to have a numbering system of the nodes so that you can develop the topology, however this method would be limited with regards to options.

Any thoughts or ideas on a possible solution?