Select faces by dimension

Hi all,

I'm looking for ideas on how you go about applying a load or a fix or whatever to a specific part of a plate for example.
I have a clamp plate. It's 40mm wide, 300 long, 10 thk. Has 2 full rads each end and clamping hole at the centres of those rads. I have studs through these holes pulling the piece down onto the piece I'm clamping.

The piece I'm clamping varies in size, sometimes it's 80mm wide, sometimes 150mm and so on.
What I would normally do is put a very shallow slot in the piece so I can select the face in one go, but this leads to issues with high stresses on tiny edges (which granted can be ignored)

So, my question is how do you go about selecting say 80mm of faces in the middle of a plate? Is there a way you do it, or any tips to save me adding in the slots.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• If the mesh is regular, you can use the select tool to directly apply to element faces. if that's not the case, consider creating a small regular shaped very thin block that you can constrain to your beam. this would also allow you to swap in and out different geometries and have a consistent loading.
  • Just create a partition (a split in your surface) in your CAD software. You could do it in Salome or FreeCAD as well, but is more complex.