seismic non linear analysis.

I want to share with you a case study (or a prototype) of a seismic analysis on MW.
I consider it to be important in case you need to solve real building structures involving non linear materials.

The tools I used are:
1. Acelsim. https://estructurando.net/tienda/tienda/software/acelsin/ To generate virtual accelerograms. I my case using Eurocode. After installing the tool you have a 15 days trial version.
2. Mecway 15.0 to perform the non linear dynamic analysis.

The procedure involved is:

1. I generated the virtual accelerogram on Acelsim and copied the time-displacement plot of the foundations into the clipboard, just to use it later on MW. I want to point out the you can determine the total time of the virtual earthquake.
2. On MW, I handmade(using the internal modelling tools) modelled I simple spring adding mass on the top.
3. I created a support on the base including the previous time-displacement table.

Thank you

Manuel

Comments

• I enclose you the MW15.0 file.
  • Thanks for sharing that, @mmartin. Did you find it was necessary to have such small time steps, which are 1/10 of the time resolution of the seismic displacement function? It's taking too long to solve so can you spoil the ending - does the column collapse?
  • The column is not collapsing. you can reduce the time steps.
  • Thank you very much Manuel !! ,

That’s the first approach to seismic analysis in the time domain I see with Mecway and could be very useful to me too.

¿May I ask you some questions if you don’t mind?

-¿Is this method able to capture any possible resonance?. I mean, ¿do you run the virtual accelerograms function for several cycles or is it just one known that the earthquake has a limited duration?.
    -¿Do we need to write an additional Raileigh damping to consider the famous 5% damping coefficient or is it included in the accelerograms function?

Thank you again for your example and references.