Uniting Geometry for FEA

Greetings All

This may be a bit of a noob question.
I am a user of Strand7, and it has tools for grafting edges, which essentially allows one unit edges of geometry.

I have attached geometry which has been united and midsurfaced. When meshing, each part of the resulting mesh is not connected. On Strand7 this can be fixed by using the "grafting edges" tool before meshing.

How would one perform this task on Mecway? I am assuming that one needs to use another piece of software to perform this task. How can this be performed?

DC.stp 189.4K

Comments

• From my recent testing, the best software for dealing with surfaces and slicing them is DesignSpark(but needs the IGES/STEP import/export addon which is not free). Best prepare everything in CAD package and then export the STEP/IGES file for Mecway or Strand7.
  • If you use Gmsh (see manual) instead of Netgen, most of the adjacent edges end up with matching meshes so you can then merge them with Mesh tools -> Merge nearby nodes. However, in this case, there are some small misalignments that would need to be merged individually.

I agree with barmin that it's easy to clean it up in CAD if possible.

• In Netgen standalone app, there is a tool called Geometry Doctor to fix that kind of geometry small errors.1