Create 2D elements from 3d mesh

Hi, is there a way to create a 2D mesh from the external faces of a 3D mesh?

Comments

• Use the Mesh->Hollow command. If you need to keep the original model, just make a copy of it first.
  • edited February 2022
    Was wondering how to do it. Thanks JohnM.

Tried it by making a cube, scaling it and refining. Used the move/copy command to make a copy at an offset. Made a new component of the copy. Hollowed the new component and examined with the slicing slider. Moved (without copy selected) the new component back to the original location using the negative offset value. Merged nodes to end up with a solid block covered in shells stored as two components for easy selection of solids and shells. Examined the result using the slicing slider to see the solids and shells. The component colors also help see the different elements.
  • @kennethfugate in the automotive industrie, some manufacturers ask you for postprocessing stresses at a layer of shell elements, will try this to see if is possible. Guess that they do it for getting the stresses at the real surface of the part and not at the integration points.
  • @Sergio, I've seen it done but haven't needed to do it myself. The surface elements (reader elements) are the same material but very thin shells so they don't affect the results. They will show the proper stress because of the same modulus and following they follow the strains on the surface.
  • Hi Sergio,

I recently managed to make the user element US3 to work with the help of Victor. It is a real shell element which can be useful for what you are looking for and avoid interferences when expanding.
    It works in thermal analysis as well as Linear static and linear dynamic. I have found postprocess limited but maybe you can give it a try .

Regards