1d beam problem

Hello,

As a total beginner i have a problem , here is the steel cage i want to test, all profiles are 100x100x5 steel rectangular tubes with the 4 fixed BC on nodes and 1 load the results give me large displacements , for me it looks like the lines are somehow loose and not connected with each other, how do i fix this?

Thanks in advance
Mike

Comments

• Hi @majkus , there is only one element on the longer side, it should be at least three to connect to the vertical members. You can select the four elements, and then refine by three. After that move (drag on the screen) the nodes of the horizontal members to match the vertical ones, and the program will ask you for merging the nodes (say yes). After that refine all your mesh to get more elements.
  • Thank you , it works now ! If I would prefer to split the lines in CAD, is there a way to import grouped lines in Mecway ? This way i could easily add different steel sections for different members.
  • edited February 2022
    My workflow for beam structures is model the frame in FreeCAD as several sketchs if they lay in a plane, or some more complex 3d curves for beams with weird curves. Then I export to Salome (not remember if as step or igs) and make the mesh there, grouping the elements belonging to different members for easy aplication of different sections in Mecway.
    I did'nt find a way to export a 3d frame with Solidedge or Alibre Atom, and read it in Salome or Mecway directly.