Importing nodes/elements/loads from text file?

I need to build a simple beam model that has a non-uniform load distribution along its length, is there a way to define beam model with nodes, elements and loads in a txt file (or excel) and then import it? This would allow me to use my excel loads data rather than enter it in node by node.

I couldn't find any discussion on this using the search function in the forum.

Thanks your help.

Comments

• The Mecway files are text readable. If you open the file as a text file you can review the manner in which Mecway requires it's data. You can then use VBA in Excel or another programming language to develop a text file in a manner which Mecway can read.

I have used VBA on Excel to develop FEA models for conveyors with all the required loads, the system is driven using relatively small amounts of inputs.

Not sure if my advice is what you are looking for exactly, but I hope it helps.
  • In case you find the liml format that Mishal suggested too complicated, you can also use CCX/Abaqus .inp format. Here's an example with 4 nodes, 3 beam elements, 2 force loads, and a partridge in a pear tree:
    *NODE
    *ELEMENT,TYPE=B31
    *STEP
    *STATIC
    *CLOAD
    *END STEP

• You might also try an adjusted Traction pressure equation. This approach costs no further work when changing resolution.

Say you have a simple ramp load function (ax+b) in the -z direction, with x as the beam length axis. [Or, if the first beam node is not at origin, then a(x-x0)+b.] Simple enough to enter that function when working with shell/ brick faces.

But with Line Elements, you can't select just the top face. The selection process grabs the entire PERIMETER of the cross-section. So, to correct for this, precede your ramp function by an adjustment fraction = top face width/perimeter. (The element Surface Area (Tools) divided by element Length also finds perimeter.)

Ex: Wide Flange beam beginning @ x=7, 4" top flange, 36" PERIMETER, starting press. 20, ramp slope 3. Select your beam "faces" then under the Z pressure field, Enter: -(4/36)*(3*(x-7)+20). Confirm the results you want by summing Reaction Forces.

Recommend aligning your "simple" model with cardinal x/y/z axis, otherwise you're compensating for vector components. Also, if your beam cross-section varies, you'll have to be careful choosing additional adjustment factors.
  • Thank you all for your helpful responses. I think there is enough information for me to work with.

Thank you!