2D quad mesh performance

Hi at all,

I'm new in mecway ( free version for now)
I'm trying to replicate some benchmark analysis to compare results with analitical solution but I'm having some difficulty to generate a good quality mesh (I would expect all QUAD4 elements and no TRIA) for this simple geometry.
for mesh and parameters see attached

thank you anyone who can help me

Comments

• edited August 2021
    Mecway mesher (Netgen or Gmsh) doesn´t have "quad only" mesh capabilities. You could mesh in Salome and exporting to Mecway with full quads, or for this particular case you could select the edge of the elements in one end of the beam, and extrude to get a full quad mesh.

Anyway, even with some triangles this mesh has a very good quality in terms of element size and aspect ratio. You will need to create two componentes (one for vertical plane elements and one for the two horizontals) in order to assing different thickness to them.
  • Tankyou Sergio,
    You are right, mesh has good quality but not good enought considering the simile geometry ( quad only mesh should be the right chioice for this example)I know that automesh code is not simiple to develop.
    Thanks for your suggestions
  • Would be interesting to see the difference between a 100% quad vs 99% quad for this beam.
  • It is clear that the differencies (if the tria appear far away of location of interest) should be negligible, but my question was about the possibility of having a quad mesh for such a simple example. I understand that at the moment this is not possible directly in Mecway