User-defined Constants

Is there a way in CCX or internal solver to define a constant, such that it can be used within the load fields in the same way one would enter (50*pi) or (50*e)? Then, to edit in one place versus editing multiple Load vectors is the aim. I commonly have need for 10-20 different constants. If it's a Python script I don't know how to do that at the moment.

Comments

• Not easily.

With CCX, you can add a *AMPLITUDE block. It's meant for time dependence, but you can just put a single value at any time (eg. 0) and it gets multiplied by all the loads that refer to that with their AMPLITUDE parameter which you also have to add to all the loads.

A simple dirty way could be to enter the common factor in the formula for each load but altered to make it unique, eg. if the factor is 12, enter it as 12.0000000123 or with unique redundant syntax like ((((12)))), then you can open the .liml file with a text editor and search/replace to change all instances.
  • Crafty external editing hack. Seems I can't avoid scripting in one form or another. I'll give it a try.

By the way, some very nice improvements in release 14. Some of my favorites:
    • Outline Tree doesn't scroll after edit & stays put (ThankYou)
    • Find Duplicate Elements -- THE MONEY! Single stroke solution to finding, then deleting elements inadvertently replicated through copy commands.
    • Simpler way to create pre-tensioned elements (bolts).
    • Grouping & naming Loads/Constraints.
  • We use the "12.000000123" hack, just double check how the number actually looks inside the liml file before you start scripting.