Geometry face selection

1. I have a model with many small faces which I want to add to a linked selection. Selecting all the faces individually is problematic because I have to rotate and zoom to get them all. It takes a lot of time, is prone to missing faces, and one mistake with the CTRL key and everything de-selects (zoom and rotate function poorly when the CTRL key is left depressed). It would be much easier to select the few larger faces, then invert the selection. However since there are three geometry files imported, the invert function applies to all three sub models, and just makes things worse. Even hiding the models that I don't want to affect does not prevent their faces being selected. Is there a way to exclude some entire models from the invert selection function?

2. When creating a linked selection, there doesn't seem to be a means to view the faces that you included on the geometry in the selection without first meshing then viewing the mesh. When clicking the selection in the tree to see the faces highlighted on the geometry, the geometry just vanishes. Is there a way to view the faces without first meshing?

Thank you