Temperature dependent material...

Hi friends,

I have two question...
1) Is it possible to define material where Young Modulus and Coefficient of Thermal Expansion are depend on temperature?
If yes - can I found any tutorial or sample?

2) Is it possible to apply lineary change tempereture (applied by function ore something like this?). At this moment I try to read node coordinates, order temperature to nodes in excell and put it into 'node temperature' manually.. but in case where I have above 80000 nodes it is a bit difficult...

Comments

• Hi @cashan
    1) Yes, using the the CalculiX solver, but the material must be defined using CCX Custom cards, not in the Mecway material definition. Look in the CCX manual how the material is defined at different temperatures.
    2) Normally I made a thermal analysis first, and then once the temperature field is computed, can be imported in a mechanical analysis as temperature boundary condition. Look in the Mecway Examples manual, there is a tutorial for this procedure.
  • Hi Sergio!
    Thank you for your quick reply. I will try to finfd it in Calculix manual, ( but I think that it will be a good idea to put "non linear material creator" in Mecway )...
    About temperature - I have a temperature profile defined by function, and I do not need thermal analysis, but I will look into it, maybe it can help me...
  • You can enter a function of x,y,z in a Temperature load like this:

• edited June 2021
    Attached is a simple example using temperature dependent properties using CCX custom model definition. Run with different temperatures, and deflections will change.

CCX custom commands open up a lot of potential to extend your capabilities, so it's worth the effort to learn this stuff.

A good way to get smart fast:
    1-Run a simple analysis using Mecway with CCX.
    2-Look at the CCX input file generated (in this case, the *MATERIAL and *ELASTIC cards)
    3-Suppress these commands - "don't generate"
    4-Put these commands in a custom model definition
    5-Run again, be sure the answers are the same as step 1
    6-Swap in the new thing, in this case, temperature dependent properties.

Save your simple example in a library, because you will forget that temperatures need to be specified in K inside CCX (or a million other things you will forget). You can even keep some "helper CCX" input files in a library using the Mecway Library function: