Intel Compilers are free to use now

I just found out something awesome. The Intel Compilers are free to use now. With the Fortran 77 codes I write, the Intel run times are up to 2-3x faster than gfortran.

Comments

• is there a direct link to that source? :-)
  • edited May 2021
    this is one of many; https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/tools/oneapi/hpc-toolkit.html

their site is hard to navigate so i figured people could google it. they also change the links a lot, so not sure how long this link will be valid.

i was shocked to see it's free now. it used to cost a lot. i was trying to update the ccx pardiso intel/mkl solver. i accidentally realized you can install the compilers now. so this is really awesome. i have always found the intel compilers to be the best.

you use to have to create an account to download the trial versions. now you can download the full version without an account.

i'm not sure when they changed this. perhaps when they changed the name of the compilers recently. i wish i had known about it sooner. this is really a huge freebie for everyone who compiles any code.
  • @prop_desing, that´s means that a CCX version compiled with this new compiler will be fast than the same using other one? And this compiled version (executable) can be distribuited also, or there is some kind of licence that avoid it?
  • the speed up may very. some of my codes were 2-3x faster. some were about the same. since the ccx pardiso version is using the intel mkl already, the solve might not be much faster. however, if there are other parts that were compiled with gfortran then there could be a speedup. it's something someone would have to test. i don't know how to compile ccx.

i didn't read the licensing. i'm not sure of the distribution aspect. i just noticed you can download and install it now, without even having to create an account. so that's a big change. i would assume if they allow you to download and use it, then you could distribute your code. it wouldn't make a lot of sense to me otherwise. but i could be wrong.