Simple Plate how to add constraints @ specific locations

I have a model of a 4'x8'x1'' aluminum plate. The actual plate has 3/8" inserts on a 4" x 4" grid pattern (for clamping). Is there a simple way to constraint the plate at any of these locations? I tried to add holes with FreeCAD and export to Mecway but meshing with all the small holes complicates the meshing process.

Comments

• edited April 2020
    it looks like it's easy to create the plate with holes using mecways built in tools. but when you copy the initial geometry to make the plate, it messes up coping the loads. so it makes applying loads a real pain. i gave up on it, due to the time involved.

you get an all quad mesh which is nice. if you bring in a step file and mesh it, it will be either a mixed mesh or an all tet mesh. however, applying the loads might be a little easier.

• prop_design
    Thanks for trying. The actual hole diameters are ~ 0.375.
    Is there a easy way to add a grid of nodes?
    Added a grid of points in Freecad and exported a STEP file but it did not have the grid points. Maybe another file format?
  • Hole size 0.375 inches.
  • yeah, it's a lot easier to do this as a solid. you can make geometry selections, which is what speeds the whole process up a lot. i attached a model you can check out. i tried to simulate the screw/bolt connections at the holes. i used a .5" washer diameter and a .375" through hole. this was so i could apply forces and moments to simulate the screw/bolt connections. config 1 is just the moments, config 2 is just the forces, config 3 has all the loads. this was just for debugging purposes.
  • both models should have .375" diameter holes in them. i'm not sure about creating a grid with nodes. you can use the plate feature to make the midplane model with holes. that will have all quads. but doing all the loads is a serious pain. selecting the top and bottoms of the faces is time consuming. also applying the moments, i was having problems. with the solid model it all went very smoothly.
  • edited April 2020
    If you just want a grid of nodes or rectangular elements at the points, rather than holes, you can do:
    1) Mesh tools -> Create -> Quick square
    2) Set the node coordinates of the corners
    3) Mesh tools -> Refine -> Custom
    4) Select rows and columns of nodes and set their co-ordinates to move them into the correct grid locations if they aren't already.