Crankshaft torsional vibration

Hi, I am attempting to model the torsional vibration of a simple 4 cylinder crankshaft (see file below). This model is not at all sophisticated - its more of a capability project.

The mode shapes are easy of course, but I am interested in trying to model the forced torsional vibration using timed combustion forces from pistons (not modelled yet).

This means I need a way of appling a force at a particular angular position say 5 degrees after the piston has reached top dead centre.

Another way is to apply a force at a discrete linear postion say when the piston is 10mm from Top Dead Centre.

I can apply a force at a particular time of course but I don't think this will be satisfactory for a few reasons.

I'm not sure what to do. Is there a way using Calculix within Mecway?

Cheers

Comments

• I think it would be possible by writing a user subroutine for a load, such as a concentrated load. Section 8.4.2 (or 9.4.2) Concentrated load (cload.f) of the CCX manual says that node displacements for the whole model are available to the *CLOAD user subroutine.

Perhaps another way would be to use contact so that part of the crankshaft applies a displacement to a spring which produces a known force when it comes into contact. That might get ugly but at least you're not recompiling CCX and writing Fortran code.
  • Hi Victor
    Thanks for you reply. I'll try your second suggestion first. If I use a simple spring that the piston can contact as it approaches TDC then this will simulate a piston compressing and expanding. This is a good fix for that part of the model.
    So how would I get a spring to generate a force that simulates the combustion force? It really needs a. Actuator element rather than a spring that can trigger a force once the piston is in the right position.
    Cheers
  • Victor will;it ever be possible to trigger forces or pressures based on position as well as time?
  • That's probably more of a question for Guido from CCX. If you can afford a few hours, you could have a go at compiling CCX which would be the first step to writing a user subroutine. There are step-by-step instructions along with the source code included with Mecway in the ccx\ccx_win64_source_2.15.zip file.
  • I have some suggestions for you:

Start small - work out the details on a "single bay" model. Extending to 4cyl can be accomplished by applying the phase angle (180deg) and firing order(1-3-4-2).

Start with constant speed. To develop the pin loads you need to consider the mass of the piston, con rod, wrist pin, and rod/wrist pin inertias. There is also an offset to the wrist pin from the cylinder centerline, and this is important. I will bet you can find some slider-crank code on the internet that will be a good start for development.

Base everything on crank angle.

You will need a flywheel, this will dramatically influence your torsional response. In fact, if you spin up with a flywheel, you will find that you can regulate your timing issue with drag/damping, almost like a "Prony Brake". Remember that you are putting in power, you have to take it out!

This stuff is complicated, but fun! You are in for a long haul, and I can tell you that the industry tools developed 50 years ago are still being extended.

Good luck!
  • Wow thank you both. I am not home at the moment. I will investigate this when I am. Cheers