Trunnion Test using Quadratic Triangle Shell Elements (Tri6)

VMHVMH
edited August 2015
Imported a shell/surface model of a trunnion from FreeCAD into Mecway FEA. Loads applied using uniform radial pressures. Quadratic triangle shell elements (Tri6) used. Click on link below for a short video. Let me know if anyone interested in seeing how I modeled the shell/face model in FreeCAD. I can make a short video on it (It's not part of the video below).

All files attached.

Comments

• hi VMH,

i just have some suggestion regarding to select group of surface. MECWAY have capabilities to grouping automatically in "Geometry" sessions when you work with imported *.stp/*.igs files.

later, you can assign properties or delete if it's not needed.
  • rhoka, I don't understand your suggestions in regard to this example?

If you are refering to create linked surfaces to apply the loads, you can do them either way but for this case, it's a lot quicker the way I used in the videos. As for the boundary condition, you cant use that at the base. You currently can't create a linked edge of the shell/surface model.
  • VMHVMH
    edited August 2015
    I just read your other post on another topic that you said you added your comments on this topic for creating the shell/surface model by creating linked surfaces to delete end surfaces for the shell/surface model.

My attached model are already shell/surface model and also can be edited for design changes/parametric study. You don't have to go back and delete as you suggested.
  • VMH, sorry for my reply were is not the same models.
    yes surface model doesn't have thickness so boundary support can not be created during geometry session. it's all about group of surface mesh not face of thickness.

previously i just give a suggestion according to your vids @4.08 and @13.37 were you created of a group by manual selection, although group of surface already done by MECWAY. the user only need to created link named selection and create component based on that.
  • VMHVMH
    edited August 2015
    Agreed. Do it one by one may be a little time consuming when there are many faces but either way can be done.