PC Compatability

I am looking at building new PC with an AMD CPU. Are there any users that are using AMD processors?

Comments

• I switched from i7 to Ryzen7 2700x some months ago.
    For FEA solver is faster than i7 6700 (about 30% less time).
    I found a problem with Virtualbox. In fact is impossible to install a OS. But I employed few time, so I never found the issue. Maybe because I'm still using Windows7

For the rest I saved money, for the same performance, respect a workstation based on Intel CPUs.

I had some trouble to find the correct RAM model. Now I have Corsair Venegance 32 Gb DDR4 3000 with Mobo MSI B450 chipset

Also the power consuption is compatible with Intel CPUs. I know that will be launched soon the new family of Ryzen 3000....so is better to wait for buying a new workstation
  • hello,
    i read just your diacussion about AMD or Intel CPUs.
    I have the question about using the paradiso solver. For that you need the Intel® Math Kernel Library... is that working with AMD's CPUs?
  • The internal solver has always used Intel MKL's Pardiso and I've never heard any complaints of it not working on AMD CPUs. Though it might be slower.
  • I use an AMD laptop APU with the internal and CCX solver and have no issues. I also switched to the CCX Intel Pardiso version awhile ago and it works fine too. I've used AMD netbook and laptop APUs for years. C, E, and now A series. They all worked great with FEA and CFD as well as everything else. I couldn't believe I could do CFD on a Netbook. They are seriously underrated products. The only thing that has been slow in my experience, is rendering with Keyshot. That takes forever. I also compile Fortran code using the Intel Fortran compiler. So anything that works with an Intel x86 product will work with an AMD x86 product, has been my experience anyway. There are a few extensions that AMD hasn't implemented, but I have never found that to be an issue.
  • okay, Thank you for clarification