Pressure Load on Beam

Hello,

I want to simulate pressure load on simple beam.

Initially, I tried to simulate line load using Mecway solver for line2. The result of bending moment and shear force are satisfied, compared to theoretical value. Then I tried to change the element into line3 to compare the result using Calculix solver. As we know, the Calculix doesn't support the line load, but the pressure load.

Then I tried to add pressure load on line3. This way, I convert the line load into pressure load based on width of the element. For example, if my beam sized 300 (width) x 500 (height) mm and my line load is 10KN/m, then I know the pressure load at the top of element is 10KN/m : 0.3m = 33.33 KN/m2.

It's strange that when I enable element surfaces ("Show element surfaces"), I can't select only top side of beam. Instead, all side are selected. Is it even possible to select only one side of beam and add load, like we can do for shell? I don't know how Mecway implement the pressure load on beam. When I save the model into the .inp file, the loads become Cload, but I don't know how the loads are derived.

If anyone can anyone explain this, I will really appreciate.

Thank you

Comments

• For additional information, this way using simulation above, the bending moment and shear force are not the same value as theoretical shows if implemented using pressure load on line2 and line3.
  • Mecway only has a single "face" along the length of a beam, and it includes the whole surface as it appears when you select it. Pressure load on beams uses that as the surface area. So for converting line pressure to X,Y,Z "pressure", divide by the perimeter instead of the width.

You may be thinking of the X,Y,Z pressure as like a snow load which is force per unit projected area, but this one is force per area independent of the orientation of the surface.

With CCX, you sometimes need to refine the beam to get the forces and bending moments to converge to their correct values.

You can also enter a CCX *DLOAD card in CCX -> custom step contents to apply normal pressure to an individual one of the 4 faces.