Large Assembly Shell Face Connections

I am currently looking at a a large assembly which would be better analysised in shell format but when I import the STEP files they are individual shells and the edges do not connect (a sample of the STEP is attached).

Is there way to bond the shells together for analysis? I would rather not analysis as a solid model as the assembly is quite large.

Is there a third party program that can mesh and bond the shells together?

Thanks,
Sebastien

Comments

• You can't do that in Mecway but it should be possible with your CAD software, at least joining the manifold edges.

You can also install the Netgen app which has a tool to heal geometry. Other people have found it useful but I haven't used it myself.
  • Hi Sebastien, this is your part meshed in Salome, the first pictures is meshed as it (element are unconnected at face's unions), and the second one is with a little of geometry treatment to get the full connected mesh

• I have made a quick analysis, the only issue is that you cannot use the Mecway internal solver as the mesh has triangle elements. Anyway CCX has solved without problems.

• Now my question to the experienced people of the forum...If I would has to analyze a chasis very like this one, with the objetives of the analysis being max displacement, stress (under steady load and lifting operations) and probably eigen modes

https://lisafea.com/pdf/Commessa_127485_Calcolo_Strutturale.pdf

What will be the preffered way to model it? Using beams elements or shells like this? I have found very easy to mesh this part, with beams I has to recreate the geometry on Mecway. Would be the stress at the bends of the profiles be accurate? What would be more accurate CCX expanded elements or Mecway true beams elements?

Regards
  • Mecway's internal solver beam elements are only Euler beams which means they have to be slender as well as other limitations. Also, no shear stress output. In principle, CCX's expanded beams should be more accurate. However, they sometimes have weird behavior at constraints, with reaction forces, and internal forces and bending moments, especially the hollow tubes, so be cautious if you need those features.
  • Thank you Sergio and Victor, using Salome I was able to mesh the assembly and carry on.