V11 Meshing failed exit 1

Hi
I'm missing something. Just trying to automesh3d a shape that previously worked for me. I revolved a 2d sketch to get this shape. Every time I get the above warning: Meshing failed exit 1. It complains that I have open boundaries and that volume elements cannot be joined at corners or edges? Your thoughts?

Comments

• Hello barrti

See post "cannot perform volume meshing only surface meshing".
    Check the file that “previously worked” for you to see if you had 3D or 2D elements at the end of the meshing process.
    Victor probably made some fixes in the new v.11 and now you see the warning.
  • There's another limitation of Automesh 3D which I realised isn't mentioned in the error message. Shell elements have to all be oriented the same way (inwards or outwards). The sides of the small shaft are inverted. Use View -> Show element axes to see it and Mesh tools -> Invert to correct it. After that, it meshes OK.
  • Hi Disla
    thanks for your comments. The file that worked had tet10 3d elements and I used v11 with that too.
    The file that does not work (v11) has 2d elements (tet3 or quad4).
    I'm confused because I cant see any bad geometry and additionally, I used the same process. i.e. I started with 2d line elements to create a 2d sketch profile. I selected these 2d lines and used revolve. This gave me an enclosed shell which I then used Automesh3d and obtained the solid elements.

Update; Victor has just pointed out the problem as I typed this response!
  • Thanks Victor. That was the problem. Thanks Disla as well. I appreciate both of your help and advice.

I got to learn a little more tonight. Cheers
  • Can be the different sides of the shells elements painted in different colors to easy identification?
  • It used to be that way (dark/light) but mostly it doesn't matter which side is which so it would usually be an unnecessary detail. I'll probably fix Automesh 3D to allow either.