Large strain and contact in the future

edited January 2015
Hello
Will mecway have large strain and contact for the nonlinear part in the future?

Comments

• Hello havsula

It will have some sort of new contact in version 3. I'm not sure about large strain, but eventually I'd like to do that.
  • I am really thinking about buying the software, but are you only one guy working on this code?
  • Yes, that's right.
  • edited January 2015

Planning to buy it
  • Havsula,

It's really excellent code. Best deal I've found in a long time.
  • MoI is a CAD program written by the same guy who created Rhino. He is a one man operation and MoI is the best CAD program I have used. Don't discount the value of a one man operation. You get a clear vision and execution that you can't with a big company. Mecway has a lot going for it, especially for the price. It can't do everything, but if it does what you need, it is a great value. The results seem accurate as well. With MoI and Mecway you have easy access to the developer, which is absolutely fantastic, and you can't get that from a big company either. Sure something could happen to the developer, but you still have the code you purchased. Nothing is forever anyway.
  • Some people may have a valid concern which is perhaps not easy to ask - If I die, will customers be left empty handed? This is true about the technical support. However as prop_design says, the software will continue working as long as you have a computer that can run it. It doesn't phone home, timeout or in any way depend on myself or the company to keep working. The purchase price is also only for the current version, so there's nothing lost if there are no further updates.

A similar thing already happened. The code that Mecway is based on was originally written by Joachim Pommerening who died from cancer about 10 years ago. Things were kept running by his friend and later myself too.

There is also some recourse through Paypal within a limited time of purchasing. They have a process for issuing refunds if the vendor disappears without delivering the service.
  • I'm also interested in nonlinear stress-strain curves for light airplane design. Many parts in small airplanes (LSA, homebuilt, etc) are cold-formed from sheet, bar, tube stock in such metals as aluminum 6061, steel 4130, etc. After yielding, the parts spring back down the elastic curve leaving residual stresses. I'd like to predict these residual stresses and account for them in some stress analyses.

As far as the above thread creep, most of my favorite technical programs have been orphaned or sent to extortion land after being taken over by big corporations. I really appreciate programs like Mecway and the lo-freq electromagnetic program FEMM.