Mesh creation

edited December 2014
I am trying to learn the ins and outs of Mecway and am doing problems where I know the solutions to check my work. One problem I am currently working on is a bent round bar using solid elements. The geometry is very simple: 1" radius circular cross section with unequal leg length and a 1" radius at the bend. I have tried to create the mesh in a few different methods but none were very quick and the results where unsatisfactory.

Here is how I tried:
generated a circle then auto meshed 2d then sweeped along a path of beam elements.
Created a circular plate, extruded, sweep along a curve then extrude
Neither is very fast or elegant. Can you suggest a better was to manually create this mesh?

Comments

• Hello RobP,
    can you please tell us all data for you model (dimension, material, loads)?
    Stefano
  • If I understand you correctly, you could start with the circle that you did, then extrude to get a straight leg, use revolve for a circular bend then extrude the new end faces to get the other straight leg. That avoids having to make any sweep paths.

A complication is that revolve only revolves about the global axes, so you'd have to position it appropriately.
  • I didn't think about moving it about the axis. Simple. I will try it.

Dimensions: (all centerline) 1" radius circular cross section. 8" tall, 5" wide with 1",90deg radius
  • Worked great victor! Thanks
  • No worries.